Thursday, March 6, 2014

I think we have a witness FOR Jehovah on our hands folks....

Okay, so lately Rachel has really been serious about the fact that living for God is necessary. She is constantly asking the question "why?", which we promote in our house. I don't want my children living for God just because we said so, but instead I want to help foster a understanding in their hearts. So, with that being said, Rachel's been at it lately evangelizing her family, friends, and yes...strangers. She has recently pointed out to a few family and friends things that are found in Deuteronomy 22:5, Leviticus 19:28, 1 Timothy 2:9, 1 Corinthians 11:15, and Psalm 101:3...let's just say, that doesn't always go over very well :) To be honest, I've had a hard time with the negative feedback I've received about it, but at the same time I don't understand why we would teach our children such truths and then tell them to keep it to themselves...doesn't make sense. Of course, there is not a ounce of wisdom when it comes to the way they present it usually, which means a lot of "explaining" to do, but at the same time I wish that I had the boldness to proclaim the gospel like a little child!
 
Anyhow, last night just made me laugh and cry so hard that I have to share. So, as you may know, yesterday was Ash Wednesday. I didn't think of this when we I took the kids to McDonalds to play in the playland until there were a few people with the ashen cross marked on their foreheads from attending mass. Well, Rachel noticed nearly right away and began questioning a boy (probably 8 yrs old) about his beliefs. Next thing you know she walked with him over to where his mother was sitting and the conversation began...it went like this:
Rachel: "There is not 2 gods!"
Boys mother: "Oh really?"
Rachel: "No!" "there is only one God and His name is Jesus!"
Boys mother: "Oh, yes of course!" "My son was talking about Mother Mary honey."
Rachel: "Yeah, well, Mary was Jesus's mama, she is not God." "Mary got the Holy Ghost, spoke in tongues and everything, then she died."
Boys mother: astonished look...."Oh, okay."
Rachel: "I just want you to tell him" (pointing at the boy) "that there is one God, because he thinks there's 2 or 3!"
Rachel: turns to the boy..."see? There is only one God".
Boy: "Ok".
 
Of course, when this conversation came to a close, I looked at my husband who was about to explode laughing and he said "what do we do?". Thinking back to my own childhood and the times I did some of the same "witnessing", I said "nothing"..."let's go though because I am about to laugh and cry at the same time".
 
It is amazing to see such a light come on in a child's mind when they begin to grasp a little of what is being taught to them. It sure makes me feel overwhelmed with awe at how God can work through the innocence of a child to spread such a important message. Remember: Psalm 8:2 & Matthew 5:14.

No comments:

Post a Comment